Cliches, cliches and cliches. Cliches give meaning to life, don’t they? The good ones do anyway.
It’s summer finally. Summer is always the time when boys and girls forget about dreams and aspirations and just live in the bright sun, walking with your favorite girlfriend down a sticky tar road to the beach. (In summer it is always girls and boys. Men and women are for harsher, less vivid, times)
That leaves us with all the corny images; warm suns, rolling humps of waves, bongos and acoustic guitars on the dawning beach with miles of bikinis dotting the shore break and cases of Mickey’s Big Mouth lager that somehow always stay cold. Corny and comforting, like the scent of coconut oil being blown away by the smell of night blooming jasmine and gasoline fumes.
I surfed. I was a surfer so the summer was just the time that strangers came to my beach. The waves don’t have a lot of juice in the summer so the girls were a welcome diversion.
Summer always meant long nights and longer days, sharing and learning 17 year old’s wisdom. Staring at girls sunbathing topless, right there on our beach, while trying to pretend we were too cool to bother staring, like breasts were something we saw so many of that they were almost boring.
There’s something about the mixture of summer sun and sea water that burnishes the soul then cools and tempers it in the reflecting moonlight. It makes you feel alone and like you are the only one of your kind in the universe. It’s a sad and lonely feeling even as your skin warms and peels; burnished souls bought out to the surface. And it is in seeing each others souls proudly or shyly touted that we learn who we are and that glimpse of anthers soul is what we decipher as love and friendship. We always needed music to hear what we were feeling laid out there so we knew that as unique as we were there were hundreds and thousands similar enough to be us.
Surf music was a different thing to surfers. Surf music was the mix tape you made that you played on the short drive to the beach. Your buddy with the best sound system would back up as close to the water as he could and he’d crank it and play your mix tape or the radio.
Surfing doesn’t really need an external soundtrack, what goes on in your head is usually enough. I think a lot of people would be disappointed at what surf music was to us. Still I made this podcast with the old mix tape days in mind; where the dinginess of winter and the fervent hope of spring didn’t really exist anymore. Summer was for living and laughing and hanging with your friends. This is music for that.
I waited a long time to put this up here. As you may know, I’m not very comfortable with the high volume of downloads. I don’t know that many people! I was just trying to segregate out where everything was coming from. Mostly it’s from iTunes. So now I know.
1. Offspring-Cruisin’ California (Bumpin’ In My Trunk)
2. Teen Machine-School’s Over
3. Jamies-Summertime, Summertime
4. Doug Powell-I Woke Up In Love This Morning
5. Surfin’ Lungs-Oh Oh I love Her So
6. Jan And Dean-I Found A Girl
7. Treasures-Minor Chaos
8. Decibels-Please Please Me
9. Magic Christian-Anytime At All
10. Five Americans-I See The Light
11. Lolas-Yummy Yummy Yummy
12. Dick Dale-Surfin’ And Swingin’
13. Bobby Fuller Four-Wine Wine Wine
14. Larry And The Loafers-Let’s Go To The Beach
15. Fountains Of Wayne-A Dip In The Ocean
16. Surf Punks-The Surfmen
17. Surf Coasters-Summertime Blues
18. Johnny Rivers-Mountain Of Love
19. Paul Revere And The Raiders-Steppin’ Out
20. Tina And The Total Babes-Toungue Tied
21. Yum Yums-Bird Dance Beat
22. Donna Loren-It Only Hurts When I Cry
23. Susan Lynne-Don’t Drag No More
24. Ramouns-I Get Around
25. Beach Boys-Wendy
26. Pyewacket-You Were On My Mind
27. City Surfers-Beach Ball
28. Sparkle Jets UK-Summertime Dreamin’
29. Kaos Killers-Get Smart
30. Surfaris-Hound Dog
31. Del Shannon-Action
32. Ricky Nelson-Summertime
33. Dropkick-Waking Up In Sunshine
34. Travoltas-California Girls
35. Willie And The Wheels-Skateboard Craze
36. Jeff Larson-Summer Fades
37. Whites-Sunny Side
38. Mary Weiss-You Can Stay With Me
39. Travoltas-I Want To Believe
40. Ventures-Walk Don’t Run ’64
41. Ataris-Boys Of Summer